FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Biohazard063

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.275/Inf 1.267/EL 1.275

Postby Biohazard063 » Tue May 05, 2015 8:47 pm

Forcing drone control on us if we want to trade would be a bad design choice. Whilst it could be handy like you said in infinite runs, it doesn't really warrant it in normal runs. We'd seldom get the chance to make high profits out of it, and we'd be stuck with a drone control not knowing if we'll be able to get it to a state in which it won't be a waste of a system slot by the end.

Not without removing the other downsides of trading such as fleet advancement and what not. On the other hand, it does give ships starting with drone control an quick boost. For now, the ships starting with drone control (other than Mantis B) have nothing special to them. By that I mean the special options given to us through augments such as mantis pheromones, rock plating and slug gel.
Problem is, these augments are to some extent already a balancing factor to "nerf" trading on them a bit as those three augments, well... take up an augment slot as well.

Seems like this whole trading business is a lot deeper then we thought....

Bonnie Lass wrote:Okay so apparently quests CAN be cross-sector, so why not just make it so trade-goods give you a quest that stores can check for?

What good would that do? (Legit question since I might be missing.) Every store can be considered a quest marker if you're looking to get rid of the trade good. It doesn't change the fact that blue options (again, probably) can't be used if the item that gives it is in your cargo hold. That combined with the fact that events can't take away your equipment means that after doing the trade, you're still stuck with the augment/drone/weapon if there isn't a store straight after it, this could result in having like 6 stores in a single sector. If you thought the quest marker could serve as a shining beacon saying : "There's a shop here, put your trade goods in the slot." then you're right, but a normal store marker is just as effective at that, as long as you pay attention to whether you're fighting a ship or not.
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue May 05, 2015 9:28 pm

Biohazard063 wrote:Not entirely sure, but isn't it so that weapons in your hold can't be used in blue events?

Right, that was the other reason why dummy augs where the more elegant thing to be used as trade goods. Events can't detect what's in you hold, but augs can't go there.

Bonnie Lass wrote:Okay so apparently quests CAN be cross-sector, so why not just make it so trade-goods give you a quest that stores can check for?

Stores or events cannot check weather the player has a quest. Quest destination will only be generated in the next sector if he player has few jumps remaining in the current one. Even if what you suggested where possible, that would remove the meta goal of finding and uncovering stores during the run.
BoogieMan80

Postby BoogieMan80 » Tue May 05, 2015 10:45 pm

I played many games with this mod enabled, and I can't get passed 4 jumps in because I can never find any place to repair. I just squeaked by 2 sectors, visiting more than half the jumps on a ship with 20% hull with pure luck only to run into a battleship in an asteroid field and get blown up in 8 seconds.

Several games in a row with no where to repair.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue May 05, 2015 10:54 pm

Don't blame CE, you should give tribute to the Random Number God. Perhaps your next game will put 7 Engi Sectors in a row for you.
Lack of stores when you really need them has been around for a long time.

--------------------------

Anyway, just an idea:

How about some more "explosive" or "volatile" cargo like old nuclear warheads, mines or toxic waste in leaky red barrels?
There's a chance upon loading or unloading that something bad happens (mines go boom, the explosives on the nuke go boom, toxic waste kills someone horribly, etc.) but they pay a lot more or there is no cost to load them into the hold.

If something bad happens, it's kinda your fault. What were you expecting when the cargo is said to be a "Crate of Red Barrels?" Party balloons?
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue May 05, 2015 11:01 pm

Yeah, making some deeper trade goods like that might be interesting. But the thing is that more negative outcome attached to trade goods might deter players even more from a trade system, when its advantages aren't really obvious to begin with.

One thing I considered was to make certain good like (drugs, glands, ambra) illegal in certain sectors types, depending on faction. Trading those goods might then get you in trouble with local law enforcement. Certain augments could allow you to trade on black markets, creating kind of a smuggler meta play style. Never got around doing that, it would matter rarely anyway.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue May 05, 2015 11:11 pm

Well I'm already deterred from the trade system already due to low rewards and the fact that trading speeds up the Rebel fleet.
It's also really annoying to help someone out with let's say no oxygen and my only reward is what? Synth-Textiles? It's Sector 6 and I've already got the Reconstructive Teleport, Teleport Disruptor and the Shield Bypass. I'll take the Scrap please.

In fact, could that be an option for those sorts of rewards? "Here, take some of our cargo as thanks" and you can either accept the reward (the option should tell you what cargo you're getting before you click on it so hidden="false" tag) or break it down into Scrap (half as much as you'd get from a Store. So it's like selling it) or demand the stingy bastards pay up in Scrap.
BoogieMan80

Postby BoogieMan80 » Tue May 05, 2015 11:27 pm

stylesrj wrote:

Don't blame CE, you should give tribute to the Random Number God. Perhaps your next game will put 7 Engi Sectors in a row for you.
Lack of stores when you really need them has been around for a long time.

Personally I've never had 5 games in a row without finding any - even exploring less than I have been... Hitting upwards of 70% of the total jumps and nothing??
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue May 05, 2015 11:35 pm

BoogieMan80 wrote:Personally I've never had 5 games in a row without finding any - even exploring less than I have been... Hitting upwards of 70% of the total jumps and nothing??

I've had similar runs of bad luck with stores in vanilla FTL. Sometimes they hide in the far corners where the Fleet already went. And this will happen a lot.
Once in the Last Stand, I made a straight beeline for the Base and right next to it was a Store... about to be taken over by the Flagship itself. That's not just bad luck, that's cruelty.

Were you playing CE Infinite? Because in Infinite Space you're lucky to find a store on your path to the exit beacon.
BoogieMan80

Postby BoogieMan80 » Wed May 06, 2015 12:32 am

stylesrj wrote:
BoogieMan80 wrote:Personally I've never had 5 games in a row without finding any - even exploring less than I have been... Hitting upwards of 70% of the total jumps and nothing??

I've had similar runs of bad luck with stores in vanilla FTL. Sometimes they hide in the far corners where the Fleet already went. And this will happen a lot.
Once in the Last Stand, I made a straight beeline for the Base and right next to it was a Store... about to be taken over by the Flagship itself. That's not just bad luck, that's cruelty.

Were you playing CE Infinite? Because in Infinite Space you're lucky to find a store on your path to the exit beacon.

CE Infinite, yes. I only recall one time there was a store located near the beacon and that was sector 2, I believe. Bad luck, I guess..
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed May 06, 2015 12:42 am

I think it's even in the description. Stores are supposed to be rare in Deep Space Sectors. You don't want it to be too easy, right?

I mean the Pernach Beams in Sector 1 and the Mine Drones are not difficult enough, you need to be several sectors away from a means of fixing the unavoidable damage they cause.