FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Peterdivine

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.275/Inf 1.267/EL 1.275

Postby Peterdivine » Sun May 10, 2015 9:21 pm

stylesrj wrote:
nekollx wrote:so loving this mod but i havn't unlocked all the ships, in fact i only has Kestral a, and Engi A and B and was wondering since selectors are different can i still find the other Ships while using CE?

Of course. The events to unlock them haven't been removed.

Incidentally, this is false. I can verify, having met the victory conditions for unlocking the Kestral C ship and getting zilch, not even the recognition of the accomplishment. It'll give the little pop-up saying you've completed it, but not show the accomplishment as completed in the hangar, nor any unlocked ships by extension.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun May 10, 2015 9:56 pm

Peterdivine wrote:I don't know about the other ships, but if you're playing the Mantis ships in the Captain's Edition, you're ten types of SCREWED.

Incidentally, the same applies for the Crystal B.
Honestly, I feel the game without CE tries to actively screw you over with automated ships and Zoltan-shielded vessels.

I think the Zoltan Shield Bypass should be available on Mantis ships rather than on Zoltan vessels. It makes more sense gameplay-wise that the Mantis would want to bypass them rather than the Zoltan (I know lore-wise the Zoltan would understand bypassing their own shields better and makes sense, but gameplay-wise...)

Peterdivine wrote:Incidentally, this is false. I can verify, having met the victory conditions for unlocking the Kestral C ship and getting zilch, not even the recognition of the accomplishment. It'll give the little pop-up saying you've completed it, but not show the accomplishment as completed in the hangar, nor any unlocked ships by extension.

I dunno then. I unlocked all my ships before modding it with Captain's Edition so what do I know?
BlueTemplar

Postby BlueTemplar » Sun May 10, 2015 10:40 pm

Peterdivine wrote:I don't know about the other ships, but if you're playing the Mantis ships in the Captain's Edition, you're ten types of SCREWED.

The Mantis are all about exploiting melee combat bonuses to eliminate crews for extra scrap instead of simply destroying ships, but this mod heavily balances against that by favoring AI ships like crazy. If you find one as the Mantis ship before you get any actual weapons- and believe me, you will- then you can only hope your FTL charges before they blow your ass to pieces. And if they target your engines or piloting, well, tough luck, son, better luck next game. And the exact same thing applies to finding Zoltans, because of their super-shields!

I get that the original Advanced Edition sometimes had impossible situations as well, but never this frequently.

On the other hand, there are many more ways in CE to help boarding with all the new crew-killing stuff it has...

Dealing with AI ships with boarders only is annoying but can be done : with lvl 2 teleport you can get your mantis out of the ship just before they die of suffocation. And here too CE gives you additional tools : access to Reconstructive Teleport for the Mantis, and fast-firing anti-personal weapons that breach hull (AI's cannot repair a room if the hull is breached there).

As for Zoltans, it's rare that you meet them in early game. Also they're pretty rare outside of Zoltan sectors, so you can plan ahead and try to avoid those, especially if you know you don't have a counter. If you *are* forced to go through one, you can always try rushing to the exit.

Also, if you get screwed in the early game it's not that painful as you don't lose much by restarting.

Peterdivine wrote:Incidentally, this is false. I can verify, having met the victory conditions for unlocking the Kestral C ship and getting zilch, not even the recognition of the accomplishment. It'll give the little pop-up saying you've completed it, but not show the accomplishment as completed in the hangar, nor any unlocked ships by extension.

I've unlocked at least 2 Type C ships in CE (by getting with the corresponding Type B to sector 8 with Advanced Mode enabled).

P.S.: Now, unlocking Stealth B in CE is proving to be a challenge. I'm currently on what is maybe my 15th game with Stealth A, and looks like I've already screwed up my chances to get Tactical Approach - there are just too many suddenly appearing "environmental dangers"... looks like I'll have to remember when these occur and try to avoid triggering them.
Or get up to Phase 3 Flagship - I should be able to get Phase Shift easily when it fires it's superweapon...
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sun May 10, 2015 11:15 pm

BlueTemplar wrote:P.S.: Now, unlocking Stealth B in CE is proving to be a challenge. I'm currently on what is maybe my 15th game with Stealth A, and looks like I've already screwed up my chances to get Tactical Approach - there are just too many suddenly appearing "environmental dangers"... looks like I'll have to remember when these occur and try to avoid triggering them.

The game will generally give you a chance to avoid them. Combat fluff asteroid fields always have give you the choice to not pursue the ship. The other main unlock denier is the "plasma storm breaking loose" when fighting an auto ship in nebula. Long range scanners will warn you of those beforehand, allowing you to run from the fight and avoiding the storm.

Peterdivine wrote:The Mantis are all about exploiting melee combat bonuses to eliminate crews for extra scrap instead of simply destroying ships, but this mod heavily balances against that by favoring AI ships like crazy.

CE does not increase the amount of fights against auto ships. Feel free to look at the lists, the probability of encountering auto ships is about the same in CE as in vanilla. And as mentioned above, there ware ways to deal with them. Spend you first scrap on engines, run from auto ships and get rich boarding elsewhere.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Sun May 10, 2015 11:32 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:The game will generally give you a chance to avoid them. Combat fluff asteroid fields always have give you the choice to not pursue the ship. The other main unlock denier is the "plasma storm breaking loose" when fighting an auto ship in nebula. Long range scanners will warn you of those beforehand, allowing you to run from the fight and avoiding the storm.

Are you sure? Because LRS will not tell you that the ship at the nebula beacon is going to be automated and the fact that an ion storm breaks out is completely random, next to the AI surrendering. And I don't think you can avoid those AI ship fights either unless you jump away.

So in other words, if you want to unlock Tactical Approach, run away from all automated ships in nebula beacons and don't fight them.

CE does not increase the amount of fights against auto ships. Feel free to look at the lists, the probability of encountering auto ships is about the same in CE as in vanilla. And as mentioned above, there ware ways to deal with them. Spend you first scrap on engines, run from auto ships and get rich boarding elsewhere.

Or restart and hope your next jump doesn't throw a Zoltan pirate at you.

I really think the Mantis ships should have the option of building a Shield Bypass rather than the reconstructive teleport.
Maybe Zoltan ships should get the option of a teleport disruptor, considering they can just recalibrate the super shield to stop that teleporter BS from happening (Or make the supershield itself a 50% chance at preventing boarding attempts.)
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sun May 10, 2015 11:52 pm

stylesrj wrote:Are you sure? Because LRS will not tell you that the ship at the nebula beacon is going to be automated and the fact that an ion storm breaks out is completely random, next to the AI surrendering. And I don't think you can avoid those AI ship fights either unless you jump away.

Its an event option in the actual event. The "plasma storm breaks loose" event is otherwise indistinguishable from a normal auto nebula fights, on the map as well as from the event text. But if you have long range scanner the event will have a blue option, something along the line:
(Long Range Scanner) Your scanners detect a disturbance ahead.
This basically informs you that fighting this ship will cause a storm to happen, allowing you to flee the fight beforehand.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon May 11, 2015 12:00 am

Sleeper Service wrote:This basically informs you that fighting this ship will cause a storm to happen, allowing you to flee the fight beforehand.

"You sense a disturbance up ahead" would make me think "Ok, so I've detected the ion storm, let's avoid that hazard" not "This will end combat and get you nothing."

Do Mapping Drones help detect hazards you otherwise would have to run through? Because the Stealth Crap-B (seriously, you took out the Glaive for a... Naginata Beam? I'm guessing having to survive combat with no shields for 25 seconds isn't enough that you need to double or triple the time you need to survive) doesn't have scanners, so again if it ends up in combat in a nebula with an automated ship...
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon May 11, 2015 11:47 am

Well if you have stealth B than you don't need that achievement so desperately. :D If you want to hunt for it then stealth A might be the way to go.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon May 11, 2015 12:06 pm

Sleeper Service wrote:Well if you have stealth B than you don't need that achievement so desperately. :D If you want to hunt for it then stealth A might be the way to go.

What if you want it for completion's sake? :P
BlueTemplar

Postby BlueTemplar » Mon May 11, 2015 12:58 pm

Well, guess what, that was just the run when I managed to unlock it! I was careful to steer clear from nebula sectors and regular nebulae in general, refused to investigate asteroid fields and follow ships near suns, etc... Thankfully, ASB's don't count as "environmental hazard".
It was also a highly enjoyable run, as not only I managed to unlock the other achievement and beat the Flagship for the first time with Stealth (?), I also could experiment with interesting weapon combinations (beams don't decloak you when firing, neither do drones, so drones to lower the shields + beams to kill the ship + drone recovery arm to be able to use drones as much as you want = win).
I actually recorded the whole run, will probably upload it...

Also, it would seem that Zoltan supershields are actually LESS frequent in Zoltan sectors in CE, because half of the time you seem to run into a Zoltan station... which does NOT have supershields!

I really think the Mantis ships should have the option of building a Shield Bypass rather than the reconstructive teleport.

But Reconstructive Teleport is SO good! (maybe too good though, makes cloning a no-brainer over medbay)