FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
stylesrj

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.275/Inf 1.267/EL 1.275

Postby stylesrj » Tue May 12, 2015 7:20 pm

BlueTemplar wrote:Upgrade your teleporter to lvl2 and you can stall them until you can flee. Get any damage-dealing weapon and you can kill them. Medbay as Mantis should be viable too.

I'm not looking for strategies on how to deal with the automated pests. I'm just saying, imagine you're stranded far out in the infinite depths of space and you really want a Clone Bay but no store is selling. For a little bit extra (maybe it doesn't have to be a hundred Scrap but a higher price than stores under Infinite) you fork out some Scrap at an idle beacon and get yourself a Clone Bay.

Heck, the price could be reduced if you have the Backup DNA Bank, DNA Backups Trade Good or that Cloning Augment I once saw which can create a new crew member at the cost of some Scrap (is that still around or was it removed? I've never seen it when playing the game but it's there in Superluminal)
Hogwarts9876

Postby Hogwarts9876 » Wed May 13, 2015 12:22 pm

Just started playing Captain's Edition and am loving what I see so far!
I do have a couple of queries though:
1) Why does activating my Ion Field augment in Zoltan A at the start of a battle halve my reactor power (like an ion storm) as well as doing what it's advertised to do? Is this a bug or a feature?
2) Would it be helpful if I kept a record of any grammatical errors I saw and posted them here? Should I PM them to someone maybe?
3) I usually play Hard on AE (and win occasionally). What difficulty would you suggest me to play on while learning the ways of CE?
Thanks very much!
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Wed May 13, 2015 12:40 pm

Hogwarts9876 wrote:1) Why does activating my Ion Field augment in Zoltan A at the start of a battle halve my reactor power (like an ion storm) as well as doing what it's advertised to do? Is this a bug or a feature?!

It tells you that it's a 3-power augment. So it takes away 3 bars of power before a battle starts if you choose to use it.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed May 13, 2015 8:09 pm

Hogwarts9876 wrote:2) Would it be helpful if I kept a record of any grammatical errors I saw and posted them here? Should I PM them to someone maybe?

You can post them here. If you know how to use git you can also make corrections yourself in the CE spell-checking repository on github.

Hogwarts9876 wrote:3) I usually play Hard on AE (and win occasionally). What difficulty would you suggest me to play on while learning the ways of CE?

Normal might be the way to go. CE hasn't really been designed with hard mode in mind, cause most of it originates from before AE. People have beaten CE on hard though.
BlueTemplar

Postby BlueTemplar » Thu May 14, 2015 9:32 am

stylesrj wrote:
BlueTemplar wrote:Upgrade your teleporter to lvl2 and you can stall them until you can flee. Get any damage-dealing weapon and you can kill them. Medbay as Mantis should be viable too.

I'm not looking for strategies on how to deal with the automated pests. I'm just saying, imagine you're stranded far out in the infinite depths of space and you really want a Clone Bay but no store is selling. For a little bit extra (maybe it doesn't have to be a hundred Scrap but a higher price than stores under Infinite) you fork out some Scrap at an idle beacon and get yourself a Clone Bay.

Heck, the price could be reduced if you have the Backup DNA Bank, DNA Backups Trade Good or that Cloning Augment I once saw which can create a new crew member at the cost of some Scrap (is that still around or was it removed? I've never seen it when playing the game but it's there in Superluminal)

If you only have a Medbay, I'd say no (you can always optimize your path to neighbor the most nodes to search for a store that does sell it); but I would be in favor of it being added as a production choice if you have any of the cloning-related augments.
BlueTemplar

Postby BlueTemplar » Fri May 15, 2015 12:34 pm

I can't seem to be able to unlock the Rock cruiser achievement "Defense Drones Don't Do D'anything". I've destroyed an Engi ship with a defense drone (EDIT : I think it was a Heavy Defense Drone Mk1) with an Artemis, an Ogre and a Titan during an act of piracy. I have the video of it happening and the save just after if needed.
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri May 15, 2015 4:22 pm

BlueTemplar wrote:I can't seem to be able to unlock the Rock cruiser achievement "Defense Drones Don't Do D'anything". I've destroyed an Engi ship with a defense drone (EDIT : I think it was a Heavy Defense Drone Mk1) with an Artemis, an Ogre and a Titan during an act of piracy. I have the video of it happening and the save just after if needed.

It's OK, I believe you. :) It might be the case that the game won't recognize modded drones or weapons as counting towards that achievements. There is probably nothing I can do about that. Overall, keeping achievements in tact is not the highest priority of the mod.
BlueTemplar

Postby BlueTemplar » Fri May 15, 2015 4:54 pm

Well, it was more if you needed it for debugging purposes... I guess breaking achievements would be a non-issue if one didn't depend on them to unlock layout B ships... especially since the 3rd achievement for Rock B seems to be so hard to get without spoilers (and I think it's the first time I ran into the issue of an achievement not working with CE (though unlocking Kestrel C might also be a problem, according to Peterdivine (while I never ran into an issue like that myself - does Kestrel C require the same "get to sector 8 with Kestrel B and Advanced Mode unlocked" condition? (I think I unlocked Kestrel C before I started using CE))).
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Fri May 15, 2015 5:19 pm

BlueTemplar wrote:...does Kestrel C require the same "get to sector 8 with Kestrel B and Advanced Mode unlocked" condition? (I think I unlocked Kestrel C before I started using CE))).

I'm pretty sure i does...

BlueTemplar wrote:Well, it was more if you needed it for debugging purposes... I guess breaking achievements would be a non-issue if one didn't depend on them to unlock layout B ships... especially since the 3rd achievement for Rock B seems to be so hard to get without spoilers.

Yeah, it's unfortunate. But its hard to deduce the exact reason and probably even harder to fix it. I kind of generally assume that most people will have unlocked the ships before changing to CE. *shrug*
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Mon May 18, 2015 3:50 pm

Hey, quick question.

Is it normal that accepting a surrender offer from an AI ship/station (the crew-less ones) and then attacking it afterwards does not result in a disturbance by your crew?
As far as I know there's only 1 outcome where it would be possible to attack after a surrender with those ships(,you accept surrender and it simply powers down,) but still...

Is it because it's not actual life forms that we can do it without a problem or is it an oversight somehow? Or do we just not get an option to back out if we decide to attack it again like with other standard surrenders? Never did it without having slug gel but having one give me nothing ticked me off so I tried it. ;)
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.