FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
R4V3-0N

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.277b/Inf 1.267/EL 1.275

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:54 am

Personally I am still having issues deciphering 3/4 of the sector types for this mod that I can't even avoid a slug nebula because I can't always understand what it's names are...
Not a bad thing, but I for some reason never get the same name twice...
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:55 am

Tycho X wrote:It's actually funny how everyone avoids slug sectors. I heard they actually give you more scrap.

Nebula sectors give you more opportunities. Which could mean more Scrap.
And considering how nebulae are full of idle beacons, there's more opportunity for other benefits.

R4V3-0N wrote:Personally I am still having issues deciphering 3/4 of the sector types for this mod that I can't even avoid a slug nebula because I can't always understand what it's names are...
Not a bad thing, but I for some reason never get the same name twice...

Look for a purple sector that doesn't sound industrial or hazardous :D
Chances are it's an uncharted nebula or a Slug sector.

Speaking of which, shouldn't there be a Nebula Homeworld? I mean you have Trade Hubs being the Civilian Homeworld, Pirate Homeworlds exist...
Or is the Hazard Sector considered the "Homeworld" version of the Nebula?
A Nebula Homeworld could I dunno... have a lot of hidden nebula stuff? An encounter with space whales?

And while we're on the subject, why not a Lanius Homeworld? Or because they're always moving and consuming, there wouldn't be one?
Tycho X

Postby Tycho X » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:04 pm

stylesrj wrote:And while we're on the subject, why not a Lanius Homeworld? Or because they're always moving and consuming, there wouldn't be one?

I'm against that idea for two reasons; firstly, according to FTL original lore, they're not from our galaxy. Secondly, I've always pictured them as more of a nomad race, moving from galaxy to galaxy. Why? Because eventually they're going to run out of scrap/metal, and will move out to search for more. (Only just noticed you said it yourself)
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:06 pm

stylesrj wrote:Look for a purple sector that doesn't sound industrial or hazardous :D
Chances are it's an uncharted nebula or a Slug sector.

Pretty much, also Slug sectors names never imply that the area is uncharted or anything, they always have clear names, often with references to Slugs or wealth.

stylesrj wrote:Speaking of which, shouldn't there be a Nebula Homeworld? I mean you have Trade Hubs being the Civilian Homeworld, Pirate Homeworlds exist...
Or is the Hazard Sector considered the "Homeworld" version of the Nebula?

Yeah, kind of.

stylesrj wrote:A Nebula Homeworld could I dunno... have a lot of hidden nebula stuff? An encounter with space whales?

Space whales where considered to become a full fledged faction and get their own sector at one point, but that never happened.
RIP Mr. Space Whale, you never had a chance. :|
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:09 pm

Tycho X wrote:
I'm against that idea for two reasons; firstly, according to FTL original lore, they're not from our galaxy. Secondly, I've always pictured them as more of a nomad race, moving from galaxy to galaxy. Why? Because eventually they're going to run out of scrap/metal, and will move out to search for more. (Only just noticed you said it yourself)

Maybe it's the (or a) entry point for the Lanius swarms. While they all move out to consume the abandoned parts of the galaxy, here's the gateway allowing these intergalactic invaders to reach us. A unique bossfight could be fighting a Lanius battleship and shutting down the gateway it's guarding giving you immense rewards.
Krazyguy75

Postby Krazyguy75 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:10 pm

I feel like their should be just lanius sectors, no homeworld, and an event similar to the crystal event that takes you to the lanius homeworld via special warp. Alternatively, have the lanius homeworld very rarely show up in infinite space.
thereaverofdarkness

Postby thereaverofdarkness » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:32 pm

Artamba wrote:Also, TheReaverofDarkness, it's easy to blame the game for bad decisions you didn't even understand you took. It's also easily possible that you got damn unlucky not getting any fuel from encounters, but there's so many options to avoid fights and get resources in CE that I think it might just be that you're not used to it all! Especially since you lowered yourself to easy mode! :P

I got used to it all pretty quickly. It's all intuitive, I can see exactly how it works. Simple fact of the matter: I got far less fuel in addition to the rebels advancing more quickly. There's way more events that advance the rebels than before, a lot of them supposedly option and yes, I can turn them down which I pretty much always do because their benefits are really minor and not worth the extra time. They would be barely advantageous even if they didn't advance the rebels. Selling cargo for +10-15 scrap over what I bought it for is often not even worth the augmentation slot it takes up, and it certainly isn't worth it if I only make the profit by advancing the rebels. Then I have to spend 2 extra fuel every sector just to avoid advancing the rebels double speed for two turns.

I know how to avoid fights, and there were lots of ways to do that in stock FTL. As a matter of fact I was avoiding fights on the run I mentioned. I was thinking about it afterward and I figured perhaps the reason I wasn't finding fuel was due to an oversight: adding all the content about surrendering or accepting surrender and fuel was never added to the enemies' surrender offers but you have to give fuel to surrender to them. So I tried a new run, this time with a Mantis ship. I know that in the original game you get the most fuel by taking ships via boarding parties. Well that didn't fix the problem. I ignored pleas to surrender (unless they offered fuel, which they almost never did) and I still got almost no fuel. I rejected chances to advance the rebels except I did spend the 2 fuel at each sector start, and the rebels still advanced a lot faster than they ever did in stock FTL, and that extra fuel use caused me to be barely scraping enough fuel to get by even though I was buying all of it from every store I visited. I only did slightly better with fuel that run.

After having played a few more times, I see more discrepancies with CE:
1.) there's significantly less fuel, even though you use significantly more of it
2.) overpowered enemies are more common
3.) you wind up with less scrap, not because you get less, but because you spend more of it on repairs and fuel due to so often losing 3/4ths of your hull to one overpowered enemy you had no possible way of defending yourself against
4.) you can't properly take advantage of the features because you never have enough scrap to buy the cool weapons/drones let alone upgrade your systems to use them, and the features you can afford to access will advance the rebels for way too little benefit to make it worthwhile.

The only way I can see people being okay with this is if you all are masochists and like to be tormented. Well I'm different, I actually like games where my choices are the most important part. I like a game in which victory is only a matter of skill, not random chance in which the odds are stacked against me. You know, on one run I died on the second jump, to an enemy that tore apart my hull to zero before my engines charged to flee. It had 1 shield bubble, a 3-flak weapon, and a minelayer drone. The amount of power bars it had to have been spending on that weaponry is absurd for so early, and its damage output was utterly insane. There was no way for me to thwart the minelayer drone given my ship had no way to turn off any of its weapons/drones and my evasion was too low for them to ever miss. The flak went right through my 1 shield bubble, and my ship which was designed for boarding parties (Mantis C) was utterly incapable of getting past their crew AND antipersonnel drone. Yeah, they had an antipersonnel drone AND a minelayer drone, both up at once.

I'll grant that the Mantis C is just straight up a bad ship, but there's no excuse for an enemy that can literally tear a ship to shreds before it has a chance to charge engines and escape--on the second jump. Now I've lost the first fight of a run multiple times before CE, but it was always to a ship getting lucky and shooting out the engines, weapons, shields, weak spots. That didn't happen this time. Its aim was lousy and I had the shields and engines up almost the whole fight. My hull just went down too fast.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:58 pm

I once fought a ship in Sector 1 (CE Infinite but I hadn't even reached the first exit beacon) which hacked my Level 1 Shields down to Level 0. It had both an ion gun and a very fast-firing focus beam. All I had to fight back with were two Combat Drones (I was flying my Scrin Ship so all it had were the two drones). And the RNG had a fixation on my Drone Control and Hull Breaches.

Normally this would have been grounds to give up and run or restart and try again but I pulled through with half my hull remaining.

But yeah I do agree that fuel is much harder to acquire in CE. If I encounter a Mantis ship, either pirate or actual Mantis, I think to myself that I'm not getting any fuel from it.
Also, there are more opportunities to lose it. Like those BS black holes that pop out of friggin' nowhere and take away two units of fuel and ruin any "Needle threading" you were planning on.

Also, I don't think Lanius should be part of those teleporting crews that enter your ship. Every time I get boarders, chances are one of them will be a Lanius. I don't mind AI boarders as they only have 50HP and can be taken down easily enough but Lanius... they'll suck the life out of your crew and if you have two onboard your ship, might as well say goodbye to your crew. And your Clone Bay.

I know it's supposed to mean that you actually have to get in there and fight the enemy rather than suffocate them to death but well... I guess I need to stop using the Airlock Treatment Strategy on every boarding party.
thereaverofdarkness

Postby thereaverofdarkness » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:39 am

I haven't had much trouble fighting Lanius boarders. The trick is to be ready to jump out of combat to go heal up before you go back in with them. There are other tricks, too, depending on the situation. You can open a door they're trying to get through in order to put them in a fresh room full of air right before you fight them. You can delay any boarding party with a nearby engi in order to buy time for your security team to arrive and prevent a vital system from going down. I only have difficulty with boarders when I have to deal with them while taking heavy fire from a ship, or when the RNG sends way too many for how early I am in the game. I once was boarded by four mantis in sector one, and of course it happened while I was playing a zoltan ship. But I also noticed that weirdly unfair events like that seemed to stop happening after I upgraded to Advanced Edition. I stopped seeing the opponents with 10 power in shields or 11 in weapons, also.

Supposedly the game is supposed to be about skill, but I never felt that way in the original game. The skills were important but easy to learn and master, while the RNG remained potent no matter how good I got. I reached the point where I could beat the flagship on 80% of games on easy, but on 20% or so, something ridiculous happens and I have literally no chance of getting past. It's always those really terrible fights that I don't get a chance to avoid, too. I think I recall once getting the chance to avoid a fight I couldn't afford to take on, while it's every other game pretty much where I'm forced into a fight that I have almost no chance of winning. Advanced Edition really changed it to make the game a lot more skill-based, which is very reasonable considering they released hard difficulty. I still play on easy pretty much every game because every time I go on normal, most of it will be just as easy as easy, only difference is while I'm not using any more skill, I'm way more likely to get trashed by the RNG.

I just tried playing CE with the easiest ship I know: the Mantis B - Basilisk. Strangely, I was suddenly getting fuel every fight pretty much, even after loading up on the stuff from a store right next to the start beacon. I got above 30 fuel at some point in sector 1. I quit after an event reminded me of one of the biggest reasons I hated FTL: I opted to let a ship surrender, then destroy it anyway. One of my crew left, saying it was the last straw, as if I'd done this sort of thing before. It was one of my mantis, too. It's those random events where the outcome is completely unintuitive and dependent on an extremely simple random outcome generation, typically with exactly two or three options, each of which has an identical chance of happening and often none of them make much sense with the rest of the game. So instead of thinking strategically, the way you get past those events is by rote memorization--learning what possible outcomes there are and selecting the set that is most preferable. I'd read about the new piracy feature and how it affects crew morale, well apparently that system wasn't really designed to maintain individual crew morale so much as just select crew at random to disappear. Also, it makes no sense as in real life I could simply check with my crew before doing it to see if they're okay with it, and opt not to do it if they aren't. Often the choices in FTL require you to gamble on information you lack that you should have access to.

I just remembered another scenario--now this might be a bug and it might have been with Advanced Edition--one of my crew was affected by a disease, became an enemy and had to be put down, and I couldn't clone them with the clone bay. It didn't specifically say that I couldn't, it simply never even gave the option. It wasn't fair because I decided it was safe to send my crew into a dangerous situation on the basis that I had a clone bay.
Estel

Postby Estel » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:46 am

thereaverofdarkness wrote: Selling cargo for +10-15 scrap over what I bought it for is often not even worth the augmentation slot it takes up, and it certainly isn't worth it if I only make the profit by advancing the rebels. Then I have to spend 2 extra fuel every sector just to avoid advancing the rebels double speed for two turns.

This alone indicated that you have no idea how trading system works. The amount of scrap one can gain from it is closer to hundred bonus scrap, than 15 one. IF used properly.

thereaverofdarkness wrote:1.) there's significantly less fuel, even though you use significantly more of it

...and there is ton of it in shops. C'mon, in vanilla FTL, fuel was non-existing problem. I like never bought it, on Hard.

thereaverofdarkness wrote:I'll grant that the Mantis C is just straight up a bad ship.

|
It is one of most powerful ships in game, as every boarding one ;)

thereaverofdarkness wrote:I haven't had much trouble fighting Lanius boarders. The trick is to be ready to jump out of combat to go heal up before you go back in with them. There are other tricks, too,.

Excuse me, but if you're using tricks like that, no wonder that you lose so often. The amount of jumps (and fuel) you waste this way is ridiculous. Don't get it wrong way, but it's beginner strategy, not to say beginners mistake. CE is, indeed, rather meant for more veteran players (albeit on easy, it is still quite easy... in FTL terms).

/Estel