FortunaDraken

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.24b/Inf 1.24a/EL 1.24

Postby FortunaDraken » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:22 am

*sobs a little* :cry:
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:22 am

FortunaDraken wrote:Oh god I see a flak cannon in there, not the flak cannon ;;

Ngl though, it's going to make the final boss fights so much more interesting. Right now they just annoy me because of that damn missile launcher. I'll take a harder boss without that launcher any day.

He said boss fight"s", which got me thinking that another nice addition would be some more long multi-quest lines potentially ending in a mini-boss fight. IMO the Half built Rebel Flagship in the Rebel Stronghold is one of the most interesting quests in the games, and it made both old and new players freak out. :)

I know there are already some strong enemies in CE that make you want to run or surrender, but nothing that we can truly call a mini-boss. I've wanted to expand the faction quests, make them more fleshed out with lore etc..., and give them even more risk/reward to make them worth pursuing every time.

At least for CE Infinite that would be very cool.

Sleeper Service wrote:Oh don't worry, we added various new missile launchers as well. :twisted: :D

That being said... Will it be possible to have a flagship with NO missile launchers? Could you go up against a flagship with super superior laser weaponry? Or a flagship with (God forbid) Two missile launchers?

I suppose that is the purpose of in forming the player what type of weaponry the flagship will have. May want to consider getting that 8th level engine upgrade now. ;)

EDIT: Oh, I had a question. Will the randomized flagship be the same for all difficulties? Or will it be slightly different for easy, medium, and hard? Since that's a thing now...

Also, what is the U-shaped artillery?

Finally, some of the new artillery might be cool, graphically, to add to the player ships or even enemies ;) If they fit the current them of the player artillery that is.
FortunaDraken

Postby FortunaDraken » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:52 am

A quick question I was wondering. I've gotten the first two steps in the Crystal Ship quest while playing Infinite mode in the Deep Space sectors. Is it possible to get the third step to get into the Crystal sector while in Deep Space? Or do you have to be in the Rock Homeworlds specifically?

I miss the Crystal sector, sob. Just have not been able to get into it in normal play at all ;;
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:29 am

Yeah crystal sector is still there, it can appear as a regular sector at the same conditions as the rock homeworld and is named "ancient sector" or something. You will find the ancient device at the entrance of that sector, but you'll need a crystal crewmen to activate it of course. The chances of finding that sector on an infinite run are pretty slim though.

Russian Rockman wrote:That being said... Will it be possible to have a flagship with NO missile launchers? Could you go up against a flagship with super superior laser weaponry? Or a flagship with (God forbid) Two missile launchers?

I suppose that is the purpose of in forming the player what type of weaponry the flagship will have. May want to consider getting that 8th level engine upgrade now. ;)

We are currently considering how weapon distribution for the flagship will work in detail. There will be safeguards preventing the program from generating harmless (all beams) or overwhelming (all lasers) flagships. My idea right now is to divide the weapon pools into subtypes according to type and give the program limited draws for each sub-pool. So it will only ever be possible for the flagship to get two weapons of any category simultaneously, probably only one beam at the time. But I'm all up for dual missile flagships. IMO the flagship gets actually weaker if its load out is less varied. If you know that it will have a breach missile and a dual hull missile then you just need a defense drone to counter half its conventional offense for example.

Russian Rockman wrote:EDIT: Oh, I had a question. Will the randomized flagship be the same for all difficulties? Or will it be slightly different for easy, medium, and hard? Since that's a thing now...

My assumption is that anyone who wants a randomized flagship is looking for a harsher game anyway, so right now difficulty setting won't influence the randomization. The guns all have similar dps and cooldowns as the vanilla guns and the layouts differ between more and less connections all aboard the ship. The addition of augs will make the ship overall harder of course.

Russian Rockman wrote:Also, what is the U-shaped artillery?

Just a glorified heavy laser II actually.
slowriderxcorps

Postby slowriderxcorps » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:41 am

Just one thing to throw into the Random Flagship discussion while it's in my mind: gibs. Because artillery weapons don't render when a ship is destroyed (at least if memory serves right), the gibs on the flagship will always be that of the default weapons in base FTL unless an element is added to the randomiser to add the appropriate gibs.
ImageImage
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:49 am

Sleeper Service wrote:We are currently considering how weapon distribution for the flagship will work in detail. There will be safeguards preventing the program from generating harmless (all beams) or overwhelming (all lasers) flagships. My idea right now is to divide the weapon pools into subtypes according to type and give the program limited draws for each sub-pool. So it will only ever be possible for the flagship to get two weapons of any category simultaneously, probably only one beam at the time. But I'm all up for dual missile flagships. IMO the flagship gets actually weaker if its load out is less varied. If you know that it will have a breach missile and a dual hull missile then you just need a defense drone to counter half its conventional offense for example.
My assumption is that anyone who wants a randomized flagship is looking for a harsher game anyway, so right now difficulty setting won't influence the randomization. The guns all have similar dps and cooldowns as the vanilla guns and the layouts differ between more and less connections all aboard the ship. The addition of augs will make the ship overall harder of course.

Good answers, thank you. ;)

A more varied flagship is definitely much more challenging. :) That is one good thing about the vanilla flagship, at least they gave it 4 different OP weapons so that you would have to do some serious micromanaging. Also, you couldn't ignore one aspect of your ship, you needed a very balanced ship.

And I agree, anyone wanting a randomized flagship, like myself, is looking for a challenge so having all of the weapons with cooldowns close to normal or hard is fine with me. :twisted:
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:20 pm

slowriderxcorps wrote:Just one thing to throw into the Random Flagship discussion while it's in my mind: gibs. Because artillery weapons don't render when a ship is destroyed (at least if memory serves right), the gibs on the flagship will always be that of the default weapons in base FTL unless an element is added to the randomiser to add the appropriate gibs.

Yeah we'll probably just remove the guns from the gibs. The guns disappear upon death seems till more viable than having them being replaced by the vanilla gib guns I guess.
Biohazard063

Postby Biohazard063 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:47 pm

Back with another thing that's probably wrong...
Pics are pretty self explaining but just in case.
I could pick an option to spend 3 missiles that I didn't have.
Ended up spending no missiles but still succeeding the event.
Left the beacon with more missiles that I had coming in.
Amateur modder and Let's player (with a substantial FTL and ItB LP featuring countless mods).
Channel link
A list of all my mods can be found here.
Estel

Postby Estel » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:54 pm

Actually, ship with only lasers (only scatter lasers, or only heavy lasers or crew-piercing ones) would be easier than varied one. Even if scatter would shot barrage of 6 per art, it is 6*4=24 bullets per salvo. Just de-sync his weapons, and 4/6 of it's firepower is absorbed by your shields alone...

/Estel