FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
rannl

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.205b/Inf 1.205/EL 0.95

Postby rannl » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:13 am

Russian Rockman wrote:I just found a mistake with the vanilla FTL game! There is an out of place apostrophe in the quest for the stealth ship! You can use it to figure out what Rebel ship is real and which one is the decoy!

OMFG This ruins the entire game for me. This game looks like crap. I'm never playing FTL again. Goodbye everyone!

I can't believe I wasted ALL my money on this game. I spent a whole $2.50 for it, I could have had a MilkyWay bar instead!!! I can't believe the TWO PERSON development team wouldn't catch that!!!

8-) See how ridiculous that sounds? OK, that's the end of that.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
spudcosmic wrote:Edit: Nevermind, that picture of a vulcan cannon a few post up stirred a bit of creative juices: How about a vulcan focus beam? With 2 damage to give it an lethal edge over the vanilla vulcan, but 1 damage would still be pretty powerful... drain their shields and they will die a death of a thousand cuts.

Nice. Seconded.
Nider_01

Postby Nider_01 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:17 am

Minor bug: crystal vengeance's projectiles deal 1 damage, but description says that they should deal 2 dmg.
Nider_01

Postby Nider_01 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:01 am

Player surrenders and zoltan diplomacy surrenders often have issues like that:
New Guy

Postby New Guy » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:21 am

Hey Sleeper,

Nice work with FTL CE, what with all the little features you crammed within the hardcoded limits of this game. I have one issue though,

Is it normal to spawn on the far left side of Sector 8 map with the Rebel Flagship almost two jumps away? Mods I used were INF 1.205b/Inf Endless Loot 0.95 I'm not really sure if this is a hardcoded thing, spawning away from Federation Base with the flagship mere jumps away from the base. Wish I took a picture though.

Also, if you're looking for people to check on typographical errors, I can opt to volunteer, to make the process faster and to keep "certain people" from complaining that the typos broke the game forever. >.>
======================
[WIP] Federation Strike Cruiser | Progress: 100% Art, 0% Coding
(Project pending until Superluminal2)
Kaerius

Postby Kaerius » Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:41 am

Bug report:

Anti-ship missile drone(2 power) and heavy anti-ship missile drone(3 power) don't work. They don't fire anything at all, do no damage. Completely and absolutely broken.

The light anti-crew missile drone however does work(and might be OP because of its fast firing rate and doing shield piercing system damage).

Haven't tried the fire-missile drones yet, saw one in shop with a detrimental modification(endless loot), didn't buy.
RaiseoHitsu

Postby RaiseoHitsu » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:38 am

Spectacular mod as always, although I have a question about trading, is it even worth it?
I play on hard difficulty and I always tried to buy Luxury goods and sell them in different sectors (since the Slug said something about Zoltan loving Luxuries).
Well, I always manage to sell the merchandise for 60 scrap with a total of 30 scrap profit (more or less, usually less).
Now, considering that selling and buying uses 1 extra fleet jump each, essentially, I make 4 jumps to make a 30 scrap profit, 2 jumps if you don't consider the shop stop.
Even if you do it from sector 1 it hardly seems worth it, am I missing something here?
Sleeper Service

Postby Sleeper Service » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:10 pm

Do you play with EL? With which version? (filename?)

Yachto wrote:EL BUG REPORT
Not sure if this is the place I should put this but here we go.
So I happened upon an Upgraded Chain Vulcan with cooldown x0.85, making the Chain Charge Cap -0.6.

Yeah, that will be fixed in the next version of EL. Just have to get around finally releasing it...

Nider_01 wrote:Player surrenders and zoltan diplomacy surrenders often have issues like that:

That was a problem with good offers. Zoltan diplomatic surrenders involve negotiations, so there this is actually intentional (partly compensation payments). The mod just does no telegraph that too well I guess. I'll have a look at it.

Nider_01 wrote:Minor bug: crystal vengeance's projectiles deal 1 damage, but description says that they should deal 2 dmg.

The thing keeps refusing to obey to its blueprint it seems. :(

spudcosmic wrote:You know, we should take some time to all brainstorm more AE CE weapon ideas. I can't really think of anything myself right now, too late in the night for creativity, but I feel there's so much potential with the new combat mechanics in AE and that the current CE build isn't taking advantage of it as much as it could.

Edit: Nevermind, that picture of a vulcan cannon a few post up stirred a bit of creative juices: How about a vulcan focus beam? With 2 damage to give it an lethal edge over the vanilla vulcan, but 1 damage would still be pretty powerful... drain their shields and they will die a death of a thousand cuts.

Yeah, there is definitely more that can be done there. Chain Beam sounds good. Did you get an adaptive beam yet? They do similar things, but with gaining damage.

Russian Rockman wrote:Some other ideas might be a "charge" cluster bomb if that is possible. A Vulcan type weapon that is instead a charge (rather than chain) weapon and can charge slowly for up to 5-6 projectiles. And a charge mine launcher.

The thing with bombs is that they deal their damage after finishing their projectile animation (when they teleport in) and that can't really be done with other weapon types. Something

spudcosmic wrote:I'm thinking you should change scatter lasers into "laser shotguns" with the flak targeting; just a purely cosmetic change to make them feel different from the burst lasers. If you make the AoE range tight enough so it can't miss rooms and just have the amount of shots equal to the the scatter laser level, it wouldn't make the damage any different from normal scatter lasers right? This might also make room for a mid scatter laser with three shots and two power.

Basically I'm OK with that but It would pretty much mean redesigning a weapon for some arguably increase in coherency. I'm more or less fine that the scatter burst lasers appear as some kind of auto shotgun and the classic Flaks as well as the Scatter Laser Flak take the role of the massive blast guns.

Russian Rockman wrote:EDIT: did you ever get around to making Effector warnings purple? I think that would be a good change consistency wise and graphically.

I favor leaving them as they are in order to have them more clearly telegraph that they effectively deal ion damage.

RaiseoHitsu wrote:Spectacular mod as always, although I have a question about trading, is it even worth it?
I play on hard difficulty and I always tried to buy Luxury goods and sell them in different sectors (since the Slug said something about Zoltan loving Luxuries).
Well, I always manage to sell the merchandise for 60 scrap with a total of 30 scrap profit (more or less, usually less).
Now, considering that selling and buying uses 1 extra fleet jump each, essentially, I make 4 jumps to make a 30 scrap profit, 2 jumps if you don't consider the shop stop.
Even if you do it from sector 1 it hardly seems worth it, am I missing something here?

The main advantage of trading is that it removes risk. Profits might be smaller than what you might get from the jumps you loose (at last in late game), but the trade profits are always guaranteed and risk-free. The jumps you spend might just as well give you nothing or even have you expand resources, sustain damage, kill crew or make terminal mistakes (not implying that you are, but its a possibility.) Trading removes this risk entirely and you might even exceed regular reward levels when pulling of a good trade in early game. Of course everything might go fine with regular beacons and you might even get free scrap. But trading simply takes all this out of the equation and gives you increased control. You know that you will make some scrap at the next shop, right where you need it. There are also scenarios when trading does not even involve actual time loss due to map layout. Further some augs can vastly improve trade efficiency and knowing which sector types demands which goods and planing your rout to maximize profits can also be very effective.

Thinking of it: Trading might be worth it even more on Hard, as trade profit is static but global rewards are lower. Also thumbs up for playing CE on Hard. :) How does that go?
Last edited by Sleeper Service on Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russian Rockman

Postby Russian Rockman » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:11 pm

RaiseoHitsu wrote:Spectacular mod as always, although I have a question about trading, is it even worth it?

Glad you asked, the point of trading is of course "supply v. demand" you can sell good anywhere for what is usually about 30 scrap. BUT, certain goods sell better in certain sectors! For example, medical supplies will sell well in Quarantine sectors, drone parts will sell well in Mantis sectors, and luxury goods will sell well in Slug Sectors! It's a really awesome system. Some goods well for ridiculous prices like 90+ scrap!!!

The general rule is that goods you buy in Green sectors sell better in Red and Purple sectors and vice versa.

Also, there is an augment that makes the Fleet not catch up to you when trading called "cargo teleporter". it's really goo if you want to be a trade ship. So is the manufacturing augment.

The only downside of being a legit trader ship is you will have to sacrifice augment slots, but what you make up for in scrap makes it really worth it. (No you can't make trade goods into dummy weapons or drones, we've been over this with Sleeper several times, it doesn't work right)

Just remember to always sell off your goods at the store, or you'll upset the balance of the universe. ;)

EDIT: Sleeper, why is it though that you can't buy and sell goods at the same store? Is it a balance thing?
Fuzsion

Postby Fuzsion » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:28 pm

I seem to crash everytime I click on an Ion Storm, I encountered it during sector 5 with basically a wall of Ion Storms and was forced to start over, I'm not using any ship mods, just Better Planets and backgrounds plus the latest CE and all of the CE addons, any clue on what might be happening?
Besides the crashes that only happen there I found, great mod overall! I love the variety of weapons and ships.
RaiseoHitsu

Postby RaiseoHitsu » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:31 pm

Thanks for the answers guys, I'll definitely give trading a better chance now that I know the basics behind it. :D
Got to check that Cargo Teleporter, I wonder if any ships starts with that augment? Like a specialized trader? Rhetorical question, I'll find out :3

Sleeper Service wrote:Thinking of it: Trading might be worth it even more on Hard, as trade profit is static but global rewards are lower. Also thumbs up for playing CE on Hard. :) How does that go?

Yes, that's why I'm trying to pick up trading, it's difficult to gain scrap on hard, so it is somewhat encouraged even if you're not a trader vessel. So far I made 3-4 games with the Federation Cruiser B, it seems slightly easier than vanilla hard, but harder than vanilla normal. Of course, this is purely hypothetical since I had a slug member that let me survive most of the really dangerous events but I noticed a battle station at sector 3 having only 1 shield.
Of course this was way overbalanced by a gigantic cannon, lvl 3 doors and doom weapons that I hastily disabled, but I was accustomed to enemies with high shields and evasion rates, good thing I had Ion bombs.
At any rate, I'm actually loving the balance so far, it is much more unpredictable and there's lots of interesting events (vanilla was all about combat), I especially liked the
SPOILER

Code: Select all

spy crew member and the bounty hunter event, luckily, as I said before, the slug saved me most of these, but the bounty hunter did a real number on my ship anyways.

The morale system really shines here, since you often consider acts of piracy when you need precious scrap.
All in all, the increased control over my fate via the empty beacons, trading and the well-written events gives a less frustrating but fair hard difficulty experience.