FTL Captain's Edition 1.308/Inf 1.301b/EL 1.308

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
Gidoza
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:49 pm

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.291/Inf 1.28/EL 1.286

Postby Gidoza » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:48 pm

Question - is there a list being gathered to fix typos in various events? I'm still encountering a fair few and wouldn't mind contributing if possible.


Furthermore, I had a couple thoughts about CE's design with regard to a few things.


Firstly - as has always been the case, some weapons are just never worth using or buying. Of course, emergency situations can change this, but sometimes even that doesn't make it worthwhile. I'm scribbling a list of items with suggested modifications to make things a bit more even across the board, while still retaining each item's uniqueness and not being overly anal about making everything perfectly on the same plane. What this requires, though, is that some of the Vanilla weapons be edited, too. I know you didn't really want to go there, but it really does annoy me. Certain situations are just sad...

Secondly, this is kind of an observation I've come to after playing a couple hundred games (*cough*). I like the increased difficulty over Vanilla because it was needed, particularly in enemy ship designs, as they're varied, generally stronger, and sometimes you really do just need to run, or pick how you take damage, or what-have-you. The reality of death is imminent and intelligent play is needed to break through it. Good!

However, I think one of the "features" of CE has overall slightly backfired in its implementation and created a level of difficulty that probably wasn't intended - and if it was, I object. The idea of having stuff to do at Empty Beacons is awesome - yay! I like it. In Vanilla, sometimes the RNG could kill you, and this is the reality of a RNG game, and empty beacons were pretty disheartening. However, in CE, it seems like there's a heck of alot more Empty Beacons, to the point that instead of having RNG issues fighting against you, bad luck with empty beacons has become normative, and the lack of Scrap in such situations can often be devastating. While there's good reason to have stuff to do at empty beacons, the reality is that the player doesn't always have something available to even make use of them - and even when the player does, it's often considerably less constructive than visiting a normal beacon would be, especially when we add to this that many moves make the fleet move faster. The effort to make empty beacons "useful" has probably made them even more devastating than they've ever been, in my opinion. I'd honestly suggest cutting down on the number of them a little, and buffing the percentile of chatting with crewmen or the rewards from using various items, because in my experience, the most deadly thing in CE is empty beacons, and no amount of stuff I can produce at empty beacons will ever counteract this. I'd much prefer to battle a Rebel Cruiser over this nonsense - it's profoundly boring and irritating.

Speaking of empty beacons - shopping in CE can sometimes be a drag; as with AE, I find that there's still a considerable amount of Augments in particular that are generally useless, which I would never purchase at a shop, and only make shopping really irritating. Vanilla was nice (perhaps too nice) because if you went to a shop, you could probably find something useful, but not always (as is normal). Add a few useless items, and the useful items become so rare that the RNG kills you more often that not. BAD game design, I say! Respectfully, I would suggest at the very least that things like Ammo/Drone Manufacturers just not show up in shops - if you can build them at empty beacons anyways (and there are plenty), there's no need to clutter the shop with these Augments when otherwise the game is plenty difficult enough to make shopping for items a certain necessity. Throw in the multiplicity of new Drone types, and we get a better vision of the problem - I like that there are many Drone types, but have a Drone for every type of weapon doesn't actually add anything (I really don't get the various defensive Ion Drones) other than making useful Drones more difficult to find; and there's nothing like being in Lanius territory and asking them to craft a Drone schematic only to get a wimpy Missile Drone (or for that matter, some wimpy Augment). I think that some events like these might want to be re-thought - whereas in Vanilla you of course didn't always get the Drone you wanted (and this is normal RNG behavior); in CE, the chances of getting something awful are so high that it's never worth the investment.

It's just little things like these that get me concerned. The events are cool; the variety is cool; the opponents are beautifully designed; but some of the execution I am just not confident has really been thought out - that we want to offer more, but more has really become less, and is a damper on an otherwise amazing mod. Just my two cents, thanks. :)
User avatar
Sleeper Service
Posts: 2305
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.291/Inf 1.28/EL 1.286

Postby Sleeper Service » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:41 pm

Auron1 wrote:1) Mantis camp
Sometimes you find a distress signal where you are asked to travel to a "near" Mantis camp to gather some intelligence: when you try to leave, sometimes you get busted and you have to fight. It would be nice to have blue options if you have the Stealth system or the Drone system.
What do you think sleeper?
Already has blue event initially, I think the event is well served.

Auron1 wrote:Seldom you find a rockmen planet where "students" and authorities are facing each other. Every time I helped one of them, I eventually lost at least one crew member. However, this happened even when I had the Clone Bay system. Now, the problem is to understand if my crew member "died" or was taken prisoner, meaning he is still alive and thus cannot be cloned.
Will be investigated.

Gidoza wrote:Question - is there a list being gathered to fix typos in various events? I'm still encountering a fair few and wouldn't mind contributing if possible.
We have a gir repo for that: https://github.com/sleeper-service-CE/F ... cking-2016 but you can also directly report them in the thread, best in bulk and with mention of how things should be changed.

Gidoza wrote:Firstly - as has always been the case, some weapons are just never worth using or buying. Of course, emergency situations can change this, but sometimes even that doesn't make it worthwhile. I'm scribbling a list of items with suggested modifications to make things a bit more even across the board, while still retaining each item's uniqueness and not being overly anal about making everything perfectly on the same plane. What this requires, though, is that some of the Vanilla weapons be edited, too. I know you didn't really want to go there, but it really does annoy me. Certain situations are just sad...
Well you already gather that, like the devs, I don't think that the game becomes more interesting if its balance is more symmetrical.

Gidoza wrote:However, in CE, it seems like there's a heck of alot more Empty Beacons, to the point that instead of having RNG issues fighting against you, bad luck with empty beacons has become normative, and the lack of Scrap in such situations can often be devastating.
The amount of empty beacons is the same as in vanilla. Event distribution for vanilla sectors is unchanged and CEs new sector event lists are based on vanilla sectors.

Gidoza wrote:whereas in Vanilla you of course didn't always get the Drone you wanted (and this is normal RNG behavior); in CE, the chances of getting something awful are so high that it's never worth the investment.
Most of this comes down to that I ultimately believe that success in the game is tied to making due with what you can get. You are not supposed to get the drone that you want and playing like that will backfire in hard vanilla as well.

Thanks for the feedback so far. If you have concrete suggestions on what should be changed how and why I'm happy to hear it.
User avatar
stylesrj
Posts: 3645
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:54 am
Location: The Shrike
Contact:

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.291/Inf 1.28/EL 1.286

Postby stylesrj » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:21 pm

I think I'm in agreement with Gidoza about one thing - the stores are cluttered with useless garbage that makes the chances of getting something useful very low.
Perhaps some manufacturing augments should be restricted to be constructed only on the ship. Hell maybe it doesn't even need to be an augment. Set the event to "Drone Control" or "Missile Weapon" and have us spend a lot of Scrap building the weapons required like a more expensive store (or would that be overpowered/hard to script and thus requires the augments for those reasons?)

Maybe other "civilian" augments could constructed on the ship at an empty beacon rather than having to be bought in a store. And they can be sold for a pittance without affecting store prices.

I'm on the fence about weapons balance though. FTL typically screws me over with only selling missiles or beams when I need a means of taking down enemy shields... but it does mean the 3-shot Flak and the Burst Laser II are becoming an endangered species.
meklozz
Posts: 349
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:11 am

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.291/Inf 1.28/EL 1.286

Postby meklozz » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:24 pm

I went to download the new version and noticed the quotes on CE from reddit are both the same.
User avatar
R4V3-0N
Posts: 1289
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:44 am
Location: Last Federation Fleet
Contact:

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.291/Inf 1.28/EL 1.286

Postby R4V3-0N » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:31 pm

stylesrj wrote:I think I'm in agreement with Gidoza about one thing - the stores are cluttered with useless garbage that makes the chances of getting something useful very low...

...I'm on the fence about weapons balance though. FTL typically screws me over with only selling missiles or beams when I need a means of taking down enemy shields... but it does mean the 3-shot Flak and the Burst Laser II are becoming an endangered species.


Typically how I treat it is that beggars can't be choosers. Quite often in vanilla I get the same problems you have stated... Trying to play the rock type B and all I get are missile weapons until my first non-ammo using weapon at sector 6... and it was a pike beam.

but anyway, I think it can also be unique and fun to get stuff you were not expecting to. I wanted to turn the Enti type B into a drone boarding ship but then I got a pair of swarm missile drones in events and the weapons I got were not boarding appropriate, I wanted some light lasers but instead I got a Glaive beam, phase ion, and my default heavy ion blast II and personally it sucked a little at first. I couldn't do that much with the glaive at first with only my heavy ion blast II to support it but it worked out well in the end.

However one thing I am planning to do to cut clutter in my weapon packs is to make them sector specific... for e.g. my Autocannons and Machine guns can only be found in civilian and rebel sectors... Gauss rifles can only be found in Engi sectors... I could shift some vanilla weapons to be prominent in their intended sector i.e. beams and ions for zoltan and engi sectors. Perhaps CE could have a tighter control on say where Scatter lasers or light lasers could be found?.. I honestly have no clue. Overall I am quite happy with the options and availability in CE...

In a way I want CE to have more weapons but I know how FTL handles more weapons, Sadly it just feels like 3 drones/ weapons at stores is just to little sometimes. If only we can assign events to make shops sell specific goods, i.e. a missile weapon store or an anti personnel trader.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
User avatar
Auron1
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:34 pm

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.291/Inf 1.28/EL 1.286

Postby Auron1 » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:56 am

R4V3-0N wrote:
stylesrj wrote:However one thing I am planning to do to cut clutter in my weapon packs is to make them sector specific... for e.g. my Autocannons and Machine guns can only be found in civilian and rebel sectors... Gauss rifles can only be found in Engi sectors... I could shift some vanilla weapons to be prominent in their intended sector i.e. beams and ions for zoltan and engi sectors. Perhaps CE could have a tighter control on say where Scatter lasers or light lasers could be found?.. I honestly have no clue. Overall I am quite happy with the options and availability in CE...

In a way I want CE to have more weapons but I know how FTL handles more weapons, Sadly it just feels like 3 drones/ weapons at stores is just to little sometimes. If only we can assign events to make shops sell specific goods, i.e. a missile weapon store or an anti personnel trader.


In "FTL Supremacy", there are many Weapons Smugglers who sell you different weapons, augmentations and drones. They are not a shop, meaning that when you happen to meet them, you have only that chance to buy 1 item.
They even offered to duplicate a weapon you already have for a fixed amount of scraps.
Has anyone ever considered a Warhammer 40,000 Mod for this game? It would be awesome!
User avatar
R4V3-0N
Posts: 1289
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:44 am
Location: Last Federation Fleet
Contact:

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.291/Inf 1.28/EL 1.286

Postby R4V3-0N » Wed Sep 21, 2016 9:45 am

Auron1 wrote:
R4V3-0N wrote:
stylesrj wrote:However one thing I am planning to do to cut clutter in my weapon packs is to make them sector specific... for e.g. my Autocannons and Machine guns can only be found in civilian and rebel sectors... Gauss rifles can only be found in Engi sectors... I could shift some vanilla weapons to be prominent in their intended sector i.e. beams and ions for zoltan and engi sectors. Perhaps CE could have a tighter control on say where Scatter lasers or light lasers could be found?.. I honestly have no clue. Overall I am quite happy with the options and availability in CE...

In a way I want CE to have more weapons but I know how FTL handles more weapons, Sadly it just feels like 3 drones/ weapons at stores is just to little sometimes. If only we can assign events to make shops sell specific goods, i.e. a missile weapon store or an anti personnel trader.


In "FTL Supremacy", there are many Weapons Smugglers who sell you different weapons, augmentations and drones. They are not a shop, meaning that when you happen to meet them, you have only that chance to buy 1 item.
They even offered to duplicate a weapon you already have for a fixed amount of scraps.


Weapon duplicators... that sounds like it could be a cool Captains Edition event in Lanius sectors... pay lanius scrap and they make a weapon like one you already have....
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
User avatar
stylesrj
Posts: 3645
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:54 am
Location: The Shrike
Contact:

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.291/Inf 1.28/EL 1.286

Postby stylesrj » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:28 am

Ok, so after doing a failed run with a ship armed only with AP weapons, I think empty beacons are getting a bad rap. No, what's really cluttering up the green sectors are those damned trade ships you can't interact with unless you have trade goods or you're a pirate. They might as well be empty beacons except without the option to socialise. And you'll encounter them a lot which is probably why some might think there are too many empty beacons.
User avatar
R4V3-0N
Posts: 1289
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 11:44 am
Location: Last Federation Fleet
Contact:

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.291/Inf 1.28/EL 1.286

Postby R4V3-0N » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:30 am

stylesrj wrote:Ok, so after doing a failed run with a ship armed only with AP weapons, I think empty beacons are getting a bad rap. No, what's really cluttering up the green sectors are those damned trade ships you can't interact with unless you have trade goods or you're a pirate. They might as well be empty beacons except without the option to socialise. And you'll encounter them a lot which is probably why some might think there are too many empty beacons.


Sometimes I wounder why can't some of them offer an occasional quest or something... like that one ship that asks about how the war is going when he learned your a federation... he might hint that there may be a fed outpost somewhere or some federation ship you should check out.
R4V3-0N, a dreamer.
User avatar
Sleeper Service
Posts: 2305
Joined: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:49 pm

Re: FTL Captain's Edition 1.291/Inf 1.28/EL 1.286

Postby Sleeper Service » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:10 pm

Auron1 wrote:as for the "music addon", I have used it twice, but I don't recall hearing anything different from the standard background musics... :?:
The new tracks will only play in new CE sectors. Vanilla sectors retain their original soundtrack.

stylesrj wrote:Ok, so after doing a failed run with a ship armed only with AP weapons, I think empty beacons are getting a bad rap. No, what's really cluttering up the green sectors are those damned trade ships you can't interact with unless you have trade goods or you're a pirate. They might as well be empty beacons except without the option to socialise. And you'll encounter them a lot which is probably why some might think there are too many empty beacons.
Adding socialize option to those is under consideration, although that kind of dilutes the rules for what constitutes an empty beacon... Actually you already described all the ways that can counteract these events: Don't travel to green sectors, get trade goods, or commit piracy. Green sectors are pretty good overall, these events where a way to diminish the returns you get there.

R4V3-0N wrote:Weapon duplicators... that sounds like it could be a cool Captains Edition event in Lanius sectors... pay lanius scrap and they make a weapon like one you already have....
A lot of these request basically amount to you guy wanting to be given more free advantages. You can already do this by playing on easy or using scrap advantage mods.

R4V3-0N wrote:However one thing I am planning to do to cut clutter in my weapon packs is to make them sector specific... for e.g. my Autocannons and Machine guns can only be found in civilian and rebel sectors... Gauss rifles can only be found in Engi sectors... I could shift some vanilla weapons to be prominent in their intended sector i.e. beams and ions for zoltan and engi sectors. Perhaps CE could have a tighter control on say where Scatter lasers or light lasers could be found?.. I honestly have no clue. Overall I am quite happy with the options and availability in CE...
Again I'm opposed to derandomizing the game cause that takes some of the opportunities away. If I start with this then where to stop? I think the same complaints and more would arise from regulating the game like this.

stylesrj wrote:I think I'm in agreement with Gidoza about one thing - the stores are cluttered with useless garbage that makes the chances of getting something useful very low.
Perhaps some manufacturing augments should be restricted to be constructed only on the ship. Hell maybe it doesn't even need to be an augment. Set the event to "Drone Control" or "Missile Weapon" and have us spend a lot of Scrap building the weapons required like a more expensive store (or would that be overpowered/hard to script and thus requires the augments for those reasons?)
Again, this basically ammount to assuming that the game should make aquiring consumables for cheap super easy, which neither I nor the devs agree with. I hope you voice these complaint to Subset as well each time you find Emergency Respirators, Repair Arm, Advanced FTL Navigation or Distraction Buoys instead of a Preignitor or Weapon Recharge Booster in shops. :D What would help is posting a list of Vanilla augs that you consider worth puchasing/not worth purchasing, then posting the same list for CE augs and see whether the percantage of instant buy gear differs widely. I might then adjust prices accordingly. Consumable production augs might get cheaper either way, you have a point there. But I don't think the player should automatically be able to produce consumables of cheap whenever needed.

stylesrj wrote:I'm on the fence about weapons balance though. FTL typically screws me over with only selling missiles or beams when I need a means of taking down enemy shields... but it does mean the 3-shot Flak and the Burst Laser II are becoming an endangered species.
Yeah, but there are other weapons that perform just as well. Scatter Flak, Burst III, Burst Scatter II, Charge Laser III... Also the game is supposed to screw you over. :D

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests