[SHIP][AE] The Potential - UPDATED 2015/08/16

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
stylesrj

Re: [SHIP][AE] The Potential - UPDATED FOR AE!

Postby stylesrj » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:20 pm

5thHorseman wrote:Oh I always repair to 15. With my most successful Potential runs I didn't repair at all until I was under 5.

I go with the VanguardOfValour approach - Repair the ship up to 2/3 hull (so that'd be 20 HP). Before that, I always fixed it to full. Now I cringe whenever an LPer does it because they're wasting scrap on hull.

Hmmm, maybe I should do a video run on this ship at some point. I like excessive power in systems and if I can avoid ion storms while recording... should be a safe run.

Stupid question but does the Potential come with Long Range Scanners? If it doesn't, I recommend it does to avoid any crashes in those zones (unless it's been reduced to something like 30 bars of power as opposed to the maximum of 60)
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:10 pm

Yeah, I usually repaired to 20 - unless I couldn't even afford that. 5th Horseman disabled ion storms for this mod.

Instead of Long Range Scanners I would take Drone Control and a Hull Repair Drone. :D
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:02 am

As stylesrj notes, there are no Ion storms in this mod. I had to remove them to avoid crashes.

Drone Control is a bit too much of an addition, mostly because it cuts into available systems (and therefore cuts down on the ship's potential). I'd rather cut upgrade prices a bit in the early game to make it a bit easier through the first few sectors, and therefore the rest of the game.

However a very large part of me is happy with the difficulty level of the ship as-is :) Make it too easy, and it gets EASY. It's a knife's edge, the design of this ship.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
TheFallenAngel359

Postby TheFallenAngel359 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:23 am

The "Backup Battery" Subsystem also causes issues. With this ship, anything that modifies power will crash the game.
The Captain

Postby The Captain » Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:34 am

5thHorseman wrote:Drone Control is a bit too much of an addition, mostly because it cuts into available systems (and therefore cuts down on the ship's potential). I'd rather cut upgrade prices a bit in the early game to make it a bit easier through the first few sectors, and therefore the rest of the game.

Getting blown up cuts down on the ship's potential, too. :fakemad:

What about DC+HRD & no drone parts? :pwettypwz?:

Eh, I was making a joke about it, anyway.

@TheFallenAngel359 - You didn't really buy a BB, did you?
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:12 am

Backup batteries also are dangerous when hacked. That'll crash the game as well.
5thHorseman

Postby 5thHorseman » Mon Apr 06, 2015 4:55 am

It's been a long time not just for my editing of this ship but editing FTL files in general, but I'm almost positive that the battery backup is not an option on this ship. I can tell you that I have vague memories of dealing with it and that the blueprints.xml.append file does not set a battery room. So, there should be no problems there. Please tell me if you're just warning or if you've actually successfully purchased a backup battery and what happened when you did.

I will simply not put Drone Control in the ship, no chance :) However I will revisit the upgrade costs for systems after a few playtests on Hard.
My Videos - MY MOD HUB
Simo-V - The Potential - Automated Scout - "Low O2" Icons
The Black Opal - The Asteroid - The Enforcer - The Pyro

"Every silver lining has a cloud..."
TheFallenAngel359

Postby TheFallenAngel359 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:31 am

I never did buy a Backup Battery, don't worry. I'm just saying that from my experience with modding, if the max reactor power is set over 25, it will crash the game. So if you haven't already, you should remove that as well.

Funny enough, when I played this mod, I never saw a BB in the store, so I don't know if it's been removed or not.
stylesrj

Postby stylesrj » Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:12 am

I will simply not put Drone Control in the ship, no chance :)

Thank you! I don't know why people like to put Drone Control on their ships rather than make it a choice.
Chrono Vortex

Postby Chrono Vortex » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:40 pm

I'm not one to judge others' artistic ability or preferences (especially considering my own), but I couldn't help but notice that the cloak image wasn't like any of the others. I had some free time, so naturally I used it to undertake the fairly simple task of making my own cloak image for this ship just to satisfy my own tastes. The original cloak idea is interesting, but since this is your mod I don't want too keep this thing to myself so I threw it up on the internet in case you want to use it.

I also revised the glow around the hull while I was at it. It looks like you forgot to remove that while you were splicing, so I didn't bother fixing the glows merged onto the solid colors. That would've taken significantly more time than I had.

If you do wind up using these, they're not the same size as the originals, so they'll need some repositioning.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage