Overclocked Weapons

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
HausHFG

Overclocked Weapons

Postby HausHFG » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:56 pm

So, I just wanted to make overclocked weapons to add more variety to the game, so far, it seems to have worked. Keep in mind that there are changes to be involved, and a lot more to be made. As on February 9th 2013, there are 4 new weapons, based off their original counterparts, after all, overclocking makes the weapon more powerful, not a different model. Although, there is 1-2 weapons that AREN'T overclocked, but the models are the same as the Breach Missile. This is because I had no clue how to make new models lol. If anyone could contact me with any art skills that would be fantastic - prefferably for free.

Download Link: - http://adf.ly/JkrUo
Instructions to install: Go to C:/ProgramFiles/Steam/Steamapps/Common/FTL Faster Than Light/mods Drag the included OverClocked Weapons.ftl file into the mods folder, then run modman.exe to patch and run it! You should get 3 or so new weapons. Most of them are rare.

If you have any problems, please reply back. Also, please tell me if you liked it or not :D
Link for Grognaks Mod Manager (GMM) : http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2464
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OLDER VERSIONS - Probably Outdated or fixed.
http://adf.ly/J18UI - Errors in Tooltips
http://adf.ly/JCdIW - Overpowered Weapon, needed changing and refixing.
http://adf.ly/JCxGF - Check the V.04 Changelog for info on why it was changed.
http://adf.ly/JUhiG - Drones added in (2)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Changelog- v.01
- Fixed a bug relating to the Burst Laser Mk.II O.C'd. being the start weapon to the Kestral and Federation crusier or any other ships using the Burst Laser Mk.II
v.02
- Fixed the download not working - If you have installed the FTL file, please reinstall it, put it in the mods folder, then launch modman.exe again.
- Added a new weapon relating to fire. (No Overclocked version yet, to be implemented later)
- Rarity of the Overclocked Burst Laser MK.II remains at 2 , but the price went up by 15 scrap (now 95 total scrap, as rare at the regular Burst Laser MK.II)

v.03
- Tooltips for certain items like the Burst Fire Laser MK.I has been modified to say what it actually does.
v.04
- I felt like such good weapons are a little too easy to get your hands on, so I upped the rarity by 1 on all the overclocked weapons to make them harder to come by (Unless the rarity is 4, then it will remain at 4, as 4 is quite rare).
- Downed the price on the Fire Laser MK.I, Renamed the Burst Fire Laser to Fire Laser MK.I
- Added a new weapon, Fire Laser MK.II
- Fixed some grammatical errors in the Fire Laser MK.I (Does 1 shot, not two, said LASERS instead of Laser)

v.50
- New stuff has been implemented, changed tooltips on two new weapons (not weapons actually)
- Added overclocked drones! Defense Mark I, and Anti-Ship I, they fire faster to help defend or attack.
- Prices changed on those two weapons to fit it to be balanced.

P.S If you are going to ask about the models for the weapons I have created, I have no experience what so ever in art, nor GFX Artistry. So, I'm afraid you are stuck with the basic models for now, hopefully. I have attempted to put models in for two weapons, but it ended in misery. I experimented for hours straight and even with the animations.xml.append and img folders in place correctly, it some how didn't work. It either didn't execute properly or the shot that was fired was invisible. I wont bother trying to add models as it annoys me too much :P. Maybe another day I wont feel so lazy.

Scientific Fact relating to this game
Cherenkov Radiation is given off when an object (like an electrino or electron) travels faster than light. Now, it is impossible to go past the cosmic speed limit (unless you have a warp drive to bend the space around you to move that way, by pushing on the space behind you and propelling you) but you can move faster than light would in a media. Simply, an electrino moves faster in water than light, and this radiation is given off when an electrino hits light waves under water, giving off a blue light.
- In the comments below, post whether or not you would like this post to be "scrapped" and discarded. -
Last edited by HausHFG on Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:42 pm, edited 21 times in total.
UltraMantis

Re: Overclocked Weapons

Postby UltraMantis » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:58 am

Hello and welcome.

Mods are welcome here but they must be .ftl files, usable with Grognak's Mod Manager. This is very easy to do, especially since you are familiar with data.dat structure.

What you should do is place modded files in a folder, then use winzip (or similar) to pack that folder into a .zip file. Finally, you rename the zipped file from name.zip to name.ftl and you are ready to share your mod.

You have to make sure that modded files are placed in correct subfolders so that GMM can patch them correctly. Additionally, you don't have to include entire .xml files, you can create xml.append files. Content of such xml.append files will be added to the .xml file.
In your case, make a folder called Overclocked Weapons, inside create a folder called data, and inside the data folder create a text file called blueprints.xml.append This file you can edit with notepad and include your custom weapons.

For example here is some weapon data that i placed into blueprints.xml.append ,GMM will patch this stuff directly into blueprints.xml ,the weapon is missing some tags, but you get the idea:

Code: Select all

<!-- Weapon Blueprint List -->
<blueprintList name="FRSS_WEAPONS">
   <name>FRSS_MESON_CANNON_4</name>
</blueprintList>

<!-- Weapon Blueprint -->
<weaponBlueprint name="FRSS_MESON_CANNON_4">
   <type>LASER</type>
   <title>Heavy Meson Autocannon</title>
   <short>Heavy Meson</short>
   <fireChance>0</fireChance>
   <breachChance>1</breachChance>
   <image>FRSS_meson_cannon_proj</image>
   <weaponArt>FRSS_meson_cannon_WA</weaponArt>
</weaponBlueprint>

This way, mods can be shared without distributing game resources, since only the additions are included in the mod. If you need any help modding, feel free to ask. Also check out some existing mods for clues.
Report spam using the handy Report Button Mod.
HausHFG

Postby HausHFG » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:13 am

Appreciate the help. Thanks :D - File will be removed for now until updated into a .ftl File.
-Edit-
File has been fixed, and hopefully works.
HausHFG

Postby HausHFG » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:36 am

Probably should have troubleshooted this first lol. I just realised that it won't work correctly, as it isn't installing correctly. Shall be fixed within the hour.
-Edit-
Has been fixed and changelog v.02 added.
HausHFG

Overclocked Weapons

Postby HausHFG » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:24 am

Thanks Boa, I'll put it in the actual post now :D
Last edited by HausHFG on Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Torchwood202

Postby Torchwood202 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:50 pm

The weapons are OP, but I think the rarity of them makes this mod ok.

Torchwood202....APROVES
HausHFG

Postby HausHFG » Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:05 pm

Torchwood202 wrote:The weapons are OP, but I think the rarity of them makes this mod ok.

Torchwood202....APROVES

Are there any weapons in specific you are talking about?
HausHFG

Postby HausHFG » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:56 am

It appears that the old post wasn't deleted and wasn't showing for me o.o. If Ultra is reading this, can I request you remove this post?
-Edit-
Boa merged the two posts, as you can see below this post.
Last edited by HausHFG on Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boa13

Postby boa13 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:35 pm

I have merged the two topics. :)

You may want to edit your third post in this topic (but keep the nice science fact ;)).
Forum janitor — If you spot spam, PM me the URL and/or the username of the spammer.
I have powers, moderator powers. I am not keen on using them, but will do so if needed.
HausHFG

Postby HausHFG » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:41 pm

I am thinking about discarding this post, as I have no time to bugtest it, and no one seems to respond. If you feel this way as well, I'll just start a poll to "Discard or No Discard?"