An old but still useful tutorial on custom weaponry
FTLWiki Modding Guide

Sample weapon blueprints for the Incursor "Aurora" Mass Cannon:

Code: Select all

<weaponBlueprint name="INC_CANNON_1">
   <type>LASER</type>
   <title>Aurora Mass Cannon</title>
   <short>A.M.C.</short>
   <desc>The Aurora is a fearsome projectile weapon combining the shield-piercing abilities of a missile with the speed of a laser bolt.</desc>
   <tooltip>Projectile weapon; Deals 2 damage; Minor chance of breaching & fires</tooltip>
   <damage>3</damage>
   <missiles>1</missiles>
   <shots>1</shots>
   <sp>5</sp>
   <fireChance>4</fireChance>
   <breachChance>4</breachChance>
   <cooldown>12</cooldown>
   <power>2</power>
   <cost>80</cost>
   <bp>6</bp>
   <rarity>0</rarity>
   <image>inc_prj_cannon1</image>
   <launchSounds>
      <sound>inc_cannon_fire</sound>
   </launchSounds>
   <hitShipSounds>
      <sound>hitHull1</sound>
   </hitShipSounds>
   <hitShieldSounds>
      <sound>hitShield1</sound>
      <sound>hitShield2</sound>
      <sound>hitShield3</sound>
   </hitShieldSounds>
   <missSounds>
      <sound>miss</sound>
   </missSounds>
   <weaponArt>inc_cannon1</weaponArt>
</weaponBlueprint>

-Note that although it's a "Laser" type, it still costs a <missile> and has <sp>5</sp> which is "shield piercing" 5-layers (as any other missile). What this means is, it can shoot through shields like a missile but has the speed and firepower of a heavy laser. The side-benefit to this is, it can also only be stopped by Def II drones - Def I's will ignore it.

I'm not suggesting you copy my code, I'm pointing out that there is a lot you can do with custom weaponry and ships. You just need to think outside the box a little, and read up on the guides so you understand how .XML coding works.
Despite my rather scathing 'review' of your ship, I recognize it as a first effort, and it's still better than the completely overpowered god-ships we've been seeing in the past week or two. There's plenty of folks on these boards, myself included, who can help you get straightened out and build some very awesome ships / armaments. You just need to take a few more steps and learn the ins & outs of the game's code first. :)
alextfish

Re: Lambda Shuttle

Postby alextfish » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:49 pm

JeKrillick wrote:Thank you for your comments :) One reason I didn't add cloaking is because of the black rectangle around the ship, it completely blacks out the ship and I don't know how to fix that.

Just to note about this: the tutorial on making ships (in my sig) has a section on creating a cloaking image, which fixes the black rectangle problem (and as a bonus gives you an awesome blue wireframe of your ship).
Many years ago I created the FTL Starcraft mod: 18 new challenging ships to fly through the FTL universe!, and wrote a tutorial on creating your own FTL ships. They haven't been updated for AE though.
EchoesofOld

Postby EchoesofOld » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:13 pm

Just something I'd like to point out, "Lambda" is also the name associated with the infamous Imperial Shuttle from Star Wars VI: Return of the Jedi. Don't know if that changes your opinion on the name, but thought it worth mentioning.
The Rebel Flagship: The only ship to make the DemonStar look like a pansy.

Be ye wary of the ship with the demon airlock...
JeKrillick

Postby JeKrillick » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:56 am

EchoesofOld wrote:Just something I'd like to point out, "Lambda" is also the name associated with the infamous Imperial Shuttle from Star Wars VI: Return of the Jedi. Don't know if that changes your opinion on the name, but thought it worth mentioning.

Why I named it that =p I was starting on the layout and what it was going to have.