[MOD] DronesPlus 0.7.8

Distribute and discuss mods that are functional. Moderator - Grognak
garethvador

Re: [MOD] DronesPlus 0.7.7

Postby garethvador » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:06 am

i never seem to find the drones (in shops or random events) but ive only found the beam II drone but i was playing fed ship b with no drones and died after getting it :(
DrkTemplar

Postby DrkTemplar » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:47 am

@dante2ndadvent, DronePlus should work with IS, just apply it after IS in the mod order. Karmos gave me permission to use his awesome work and include the drones in future releases for IS. Although it won't be the exact implementation (mainly what is available in shops, and what isn't), it will be Karmos's artwork.
Agg Shell

Postby Agg Shell » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:36 am

would there be a way to maybe make the missile drones attack faster, mk. 2 only cost 3 power, but make it so they come to your ship, take 3-5 missiles, and for each missile they take it can be used as 2 projectiles (6-10 attacks before re-fueling) and the mk. 2 turn them into 3 projectiles, and it can take 3-6 (9-18). i think that would make the missile drones different from other mods, and it lets you use them more sparringly. it also lets you use the 60+ missiles you might have by sector 8! great mod, bro. really awesome.
Are you a mantis? Do you lack ships to fight and Zoltans to chew? Look no further! Come to your nearest mantis warcamp in the Zoltan Homeworlds or Zoltan controled sector and ask for a free brochure about how to farm the Zoltan! Results may very.
Empirix

Postby Empirix » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:09 pm

Thank god for this mod, using drones was starting to incredibly boring, but these ones are absolutely fantastic and actually made me want to use them. Nice one!
HappyThug

Postby HappyThug » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:56 am

Love this mod, A++ adds a very balanced variety and an extra layer of strategy to Drones. Thanks a lot!
dante2ndadvent

Postby dante2ndadvent » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:50 am

DrkTemplar wrote:@dante2ndadvent, DronePlus should work with IS, just apply it after IS in the mod order. Karmos gave me permission to use his awesome work and include the drones in future releases for IS. Although it won't be the exact implementation (mainly what is available in shops, and what isn't), it will be Karmos's artwork.

Yeah, haven't come across any new drones in stores yet, but I've had a few used on me (missile drones are nasty!).

Is anyone working on a mod that would give players control over drone behavior? Like telling a boarding drone which room to attack, or an ion drone to focus on enemy weapons etc?
al244098

Postby al244098 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:39 am

what about repair drones/boarding/ anti-personnel drones?
will they get a mk2?
DauntlessK

Postby DauntlessK » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:16 pm

Really nice. Good ideas and awesome art. May I suggest hybrid tier 2s that take two tier 1s and combine the traits? Like a laser I that also fires ions. High power consumption and slow rate of fire but could be cool.
karmos

Postby karmos » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:03 am

UltraSnaky wrote:This mod looks friggin' excellent. My question is how common are the new drones? So far I've only ever seen one, a fire drone being used by a low-tier pirate. Can you obtain them in stores normally? Sorry, just woried I'd somehow installed it wrong. :)

EDIT: On my first game-winning run a few minutes ago, just saw an enemy using an Ion Drone MK I.

Some are rare, some aren't.
~~~~Old drones' rarity values~~~~
Anti-Ship I = 2
Anti-Ship II = 5
Beam = 3
Hull Repair = 4
Defense I = 1
Defense II = 3
System Repair = 1
Anti-Personnel = 2
Boarding = 5
~~~~New drones' rarity values:~~~~
Ion I = 2
Ion II = 5
Missile I = 3
Missile II = 5
Beam II = 5
Fire = 4
Crystal = 0 (has rarity 4 in secret sector)

The Ion drones are on par with the standard Anti-Ship drones, and everything else is at most as rare as the Anti-Ship II drone. So the problem here is really that drones are rarer than weapons because drones are less likely to drop than weapons. This is something I will adjust in a future release. Then we drone-users will finally have it our way.

al244098 wrote:what about repair drones/boarding/ anti-personnel drones?
will they get a mk2?

I wanted there to be additional upgrades for these, too, but they are hardcoded such that one can't add new drones with the same properties and new images. (I even have a full set of images for Boarding II and Anti-Personnel II.) I could have added them with the same old sprites, but that seemed disappointing, and I thought that balancing these drones would be more difficult because there are more complexities with how they interact with your crew strategy &c.

Thank you for all the praise, everyone! Let me know if you have further questions or critiques.
Alighierian

Postby Alighierian » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:05 pm

pretty awesome mod, good level of annoyance when you meet them (forces me to focus on enemy drone system asap usually, ION and missile drones are nasty :D )
but it is a bit meh how rare they are. so far I've only seen 3, yes, 3 tier 1 drones in over 20 play-troughs in the store

last 3 runs I tried on my engi cruiser to attempt to go drone carrier I found 3x anti-ship II (2 in 1 run), 4 hull repair and at least 2 defence II's (and some more by random event rewards
something tells me I'm really unlucky with these new drones' spawn rates...